** Recipe is modified from hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls with minced beef fillings ~ these cabbage bundles are filled with siomay which is a fish-base steamed delicacy doused in spicy peanut sauce. Since hubby is not a big fan of peanut sauce, the sauce is replaced with mildly spiced tomato sauce
* 1 pcs of large head green cabbage – boil in low heat for 8-10 mnts until soft enough to peel
* 1 pcs of large mackerel fish, skin and bone, mashed until soft
* 200 gram of prawns, deveined and deshelled, mashed
* 200 gram corn flour/starch
* 6 pcs of shallot + 6 pcs of garlic, pound smooth
* salt, white pepper, fish sauce, sugar to taste
* Green scallion, slice thinly
* 4 pcs large tomatoes, roughly chopped
1.) Once the cabbage is soft enough, remove from cooking pot, drain and let cool
2.) Remove the core prior to taking off the layers. Slice off the remaining core on the layer so it would be easy to roll into bundles
3.) In a bowl, mix mackerel fish, prawns, shallots and garlic. Add flour gradually while pouring cold water little by little. Add salt, pepper, sugar, fish sauce to taste. Mix in one egg. Ensure the mixture is not watery or too dry.
4.) Place a spoonful of mixture onto the cabbage leave. Roll carefully into bundles and tuck both end by pushing inwards. Set aside.
5.) Prepare medium heat pan, drizzle with olive oil and stir in chopped garlic until fragrant. Then add chopped tomatoe or tomato paste. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
6.) Place cabbage bundles on top of the sauce, add half cup of water, cover and let it simmer on low heat.
7.) Serve with sprinkles of chopped scallion.