This grilled chicken is one of the family recipes. I’m not quite sure if there’s actually a specific name for it but we always refer it as ‘ayam panggang jeruk limo’. If cooked correctly, this grilled chicken will be bursting with flavours, pleasingly tangy with a hint of lime aroma, it has subtle flavours of satay sauce but not quite as there’s no peanut sauce used in this dish.
* Chicken – cut into pieces. I choose chicken wings as this part seems to take in spices well
* shallots (6), garlic cloves (4), candlenuts (5), fresh chilis (3) – all finely ground
* 2 pcs of bay leaves
* 3 pcs of kaffir lime leaves
* 1 cup of coconut milk, here I use packaged coconut powder
* 3 stalks of fresh Lemongrass – pound
* Tamarind 2-3 pcs (asam jawa bisa pakai 2-3 mata, kalow kurang bisa tambah)
* 1 pcs of indonesian lime *jeruk limo*
1.) Heat the pan & sauteed all ground spices, add chicken pieces and mix
2.) Add 2 cups of water, add lemongrass, bayleaves, tamarind, then add coconut milk
3.) A pinch of salt, pepper, little bit of sugar to taste and a drop of sweet soy sauce.
Just a few drops or else it’s going to taste like satay. Add kaffir lime leaves
4.) Let it boil until soften
5.) Set aside chicken – while keeping the sauce on the stove until it thickens. Squeezed a few drops of lime
6.) Grill the chicken over medium heat. Serve with drizzle the sauce on top and sprinkle of ‘bawang
goreng’ or fried shallots.